Saturday, April 10, 2010

Making Korean Egg Rolls

I asked a friend from church for her Korean egg roll recipe from a friend at church. Her Mother-in-law is Korean and she had posted on facebook that she had made some a few weeks ago so I took the opportuntity to ask her how she does it. I then invited my friend Natalie over to make them with me. Her son came home from Korea three months before Jack so it is fun to see them together. Although they really don't play "together" much yet since the are so young, we still managed to get them close enough to get a picture of them together. They enjoyed emptying cabinets while we cooked. Both of them enjoyed the end product. So did we. I was impressed with my wrapping skills even though I had not wrapped egg rolls before. I have however used wonton wrappers for various things before so maybe that made it easier.

Here is the recipe:
1 pkg of egg roll wrappers (I get them at HyVee)
1 pkg of Cellaphane noodles (HyVee)
3/4 cup carrots (julienne)
4 green onions sliced using some of the green
1 egg
1 pound hamburger
onion fine chopped
1/2 TBSP roasted sesame seeds
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp MSG (optional, we didn't use it)

Basically you boil the noodles like you would any other noodle. they only take about 3-4 minutes. Drain.

Mix hamburger and all the other ingredients. Cut the noodles with a scissors into smaller pieces. Just take the scissors and cut the ball of noodles randomly so they are not so long. Add to Hamb mix. Stir up good.

Put mix in the wrapper and roll. Deep Fry 350 degrees.

Photobucket
Stuffing.
Photobucket
Stuffing on wapper.
Photobucket
Rolled rolls.
Photobucket
Cooked rolls.
Photobucket
And our Cuties!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Looks like a lot of work for egg rolls! I think I'll wait for you to make them for me :) I'll make the main course while you make these!